Hi, there.
How are you?
You're well? Good. That's what I like to hear.
So. Uh, hi. Welcome to the Blog. It's called "Within You" but that is definitely subject to change, just because if your mind skims over it really quickly it almost seems religious, and I really don't want this venture to have any religious opinion on it, whatsoever period. Maybe I'll change it to "The Blog". That sounds cool, if not a bit lame. I'm sure there must be other blogs-- older blogs-- out there with that name. Like, maybe that was the first blog ever. Maybe whoever invented the blog was typing away at his computer and created the slang version of "web log" (blog) and was like,
"MUAHAHA. And I shall call this THE BLOG. And they will FEAR the MIGHTY AWESOMENESS of my BLOG. MUAHAHA. HAHA."
At least, that's how I picture it.
Naming blogs seem like a fickle business. I feel like it's like naming a book-- usually you don't name it until you're half way done. Unless you start out with the name and work from there. But usually that method seems a little lame (I'm liking this word tonight). Those blogs/stories would be something like "A Story of a Girl" or just "Name" --- like in this case "Within You" or "Alexa's Blog". (Feel free to read those " " bits with a snooty airy tone)
At this point, you must be wondering
"SO what's the point of this whole thing. What's this girl's deal?"
Well, this girl's deal is that she likes to write---
"OH GOLDFISH. Here we go again. Just another girl whining about the world and her life and her friends. OH THE DRAMA."
NO. No. No, that's not it at all. I've tried that road before. I've tried the whine-whine and the woe-is-me business and and the self-inflicted drama. Thank you, but no. I'm done with that. You will be pleased to learn that the pity and angst has been replaced with determination and ambition. I actually have a point for this.
It's writing.
Seriously. My life's dream is to be a novelist. Not even be a novelist, but to publish a book. I've known I wanted to do this for a really long time (long time) and I know for a fact that I have good ideas. My plots are golden. I'm confidant in my creativity, and in my need to realize my dream. I'm confidant that I'll get there, despite all the hoopla of every other 'misunderstood teenage writer' who shoots off bells and whistles every chance they get saying they're going to make it one day when they really suck. Unlike them, this is not a 'maybe-one-day thing'. Unlike so many others, this is not a 'I'm-gonna-head-on-up-tuh-the-big-city-an'-make-it' thing. This is a "I-want-this-so-I'm-going-to-WORK-AT-IT" thing.
(Yuh readin' me here?)
So I've researched the major parts of getting published (I've decided to forgo the whole self-publish thing. I'm ambitious but not that ambitious) like editors and publishing houses; literary agents and query letters. Actually, I'm still in the process of researching. Right now I'm trying to ingest as much information about this new world as possible. Read as many books, look at as many websites, etc. And I recently read this book about The Whole Process. It's called Writing and Publishing: The Ultimate Teen Guide (It Happened to Me) by Tina P. Schwartz and she mentions in the book that anyone wishing to better themselves as a writer should a) read a lot b) read a lot of blogs c) write a lot. She also mentions that writing a blog is a good way to promote yourself as a writer, because it gets your name out and makes your writing more accessible.
Well, that freaked me out quite a bit, simply because I don't have a blog. I don't even write everyday! How the hedgehog am I supposed to get my writing out to the world if no one even knows who I am?! How am I supposed to better myself if I don't write every day? How am I supposed to know I'm really good if the only people that I really let read my works are my friends?
[ Sidenote: HELLO FRIENDS! This is your official shout-out! :) Thanks so much for reading, if you love me leave a comment :D ]
So I said to myself:
"Ohmyjigglypuff, Alexa. You have to make a blog."
And I did. (slash am)
Because yes, I'm confidant in my creativity. Yes, I am confidant that I want this enough. Yes, I am even ready for the inevitable rejection. I know it's going to come, and I'm okay with that. Do you know why? Because I'm SEVENTEEN. Because I have THE REST OF MY LIFE if I need it. The other day when I was freaking out about all the things I haven't done in my life to prepare myself for the decathlon of writing and publishing a novel, someone said something along the lines of, "Chill out. You are only a teenager. You've got the rest of your life to do stuff and accomplish things."
Yes, but. But that is no excuse for putting off something I can get started on right now. Just because I'm young, doesn't mean I have anything less to contribute. Doesn't mean that I don't have to push myself to become better.
That's why I'm doing this. That's why I'm committing myself to this little insignificant blog-- even if no one ever reads it but my friends, even if no one ever reads it at all!-- I am going to keep it up because it will be making myself a better writer. I'm confidant that I am worth the work. My dreams are worth the effort. I want this; I'm willing to work for it.
Maybe I'm not the writer I think I am. But by the time I publish my book, if I keep writing this, and stick to the plan, I will be. Or I'll be better.
That being said, I don't want you to think that this is only a blog about me and book-ing. Everyone says "Write what you know" so that's what I'll be doing. I'll post ramblings like this, and poems and links/commentaries to articles and other blogs. I have some friends on Tumblr so I'll probs be posting links to their sites. Maybe I'll post some papers if I write any that I'm particularly proud of. I'm also hoping to post pictures I'll create with my Wacom tablet :) But mostly I'll just write. Hopefully it will be interesting enough to get some followers. Not exactly sure how to go about doing that...
What's that? You've got to go? Oh, yeah, I don't blame you. It is getting late, and I'm sure you have other things to do.
Thanks for your time. Hope to see you again.
Goodnight. Goodbye.
Alexa,
ReplyDeleteI love you and am therefore leaving a comment. I will be checking this everyday so be sure to update frequently.
Love,
Jennie
Well, you asked for a comment, so here's one. I'm sure if you keep writing, you'll get a lot better and write a fantastic novel =). I have a blog, quellingstorm.tumblr.com, so follow me and I'll be sure to follow you. Hope to see some more of your rantings soon.
ReplyDeleteHey Alexa, my buddy up there ^ used his advertising skills to lead me up over here, so here I am. I also have a blog, although it's more of a silly music blag then anything serious right now. Follow for a follow if you want, etc etc, http://pultzinator.tumblr.com/ . Anyway what you got so far is great, you have a very entertaining style of writing and I'm looking forward to reading more! Good luck in life!
ReplyDelete