quote

"Think of the world you carry within you." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Jenny Holzer

Hi there.

Guess what?

Yeah, I'm in school again.

One of my teachers mentioned to me that she liked my blog, so .. I don't know, it's been in my head. And we have this project, where we have to research an artist and then write a reflection and present a presentation to the class. It's not due for a while, and I still don't know what I'm going to be doing for the project, BUT a certain awesome someone else mentioned to me the other day that I should post some of my "artsy" things. (They aren't mine, they'll come later, when i have more time and am at home) but since I A) have a project to organize, and B) need to put some art up here, I thought, Hey. Might as well.


So the first person that I was considering for this project was this girl named Jenny Holzer. I'm not going to post a link because I can't find one website that I like about her yet. There's plenty of information but as far as I can tell (as of now) she doesn't have an awesome website. ANYWAY. Holzer's work is mainly text about complicated and provocative subjects. Most her pieces are projections, either into water or on the sides of buildings, but she's also down stuff like this for websites and neon stuff.
 EDIT: She does have a more informational website: Here.

The thing that I like about her is that the words she uses mean things. Whatever it is that she's saying aren't things that are usually said out loud. They are things we think in our heads, things we read, or things we write but never things that we say. Never things that are so loud and so public. I love the inovation of putting these things-- these sayings-- in public places where everyone can see them. I like that they're so bright; you can't help but see them. You can't help but notice them. You have to think a little bit. I like that. Jenny Holzer makes the secret things public.

And the other person that I was thinking of using was Barbara Kruger. I don't know as much about her. Like Jenny Holzer I've been looking at for awhile and I've seen a couple of her websites. Kruger I'm not so sure about. I like the idea that she presents. She takes boring everyday photos-- black and whites from magazines-- and slaps a block of red with white words acrossed it.




(this was just too funny not to add)

Most of her work is political statements, hints like the american flag, or it's something about consumerism, which is cool I guess. All of her work seems to be satirical. She's poking fun at everything: the systems, the man, politicos, art, herself. I like the conflict in her art. Not only the stricking colors, but the way the words almost contradict or enhance the art.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in total like with the Jenny Holzer stuff! I looked up some other things by her and I really like the 'Protect Me From What I Want' picture that appears a lot.

    I think you should do that project about her, you seem to have more positive things to say about her anyway.

    ReplyDelete