I wanted to update because I haven't in a while, but unfortunately, my life and thoughts have been rather dull. For the past week my free time has seriously consisted of RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Every night, every lunch period, every advisory/free time I get has been devoted to researching the publishing world and literary agents. I'd say I've spent at least four hours a day to this for the past five days, so about twenty hours. (.__.) I have no life.
Basically my research started with a front to back reading of 2010 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market which is basically this gigantic book about writing children's books/ YA books, and where to find good publishers and agents and contests and the things you had to consider when doing trying to make it in the publishing world, etc. etc. It wasn't the best book for me to look through, simply because I want to write fantasy or YA novels, but it was the only one that my high school library had and I rather read something than nothing, so I used it. It was kinda helpful, because it gave me a starting platform, and a look into the general mores and unwritten laws of the publishing world (like the basis for query writing, and what else I need to research like copyright laws and contracts).
I also took a look at the NaNoWriMo winner's website, which had a "I Wrote a Novel, Now What?" page that had a bunch of links to other sites that should be checked out by wannabe authors like me. I took notes from Writer's Beware on the subjects I knew the least about, like copyrighting and whether or not I really need an agent at all. From them, I got the links to AgentQuery.com , QueryTracker.com and AuthorAssist.com. Agentquery was awesome, and I haven't had a chance to really explore Authorassist, but QueryTracker was a new one for me, and I have to say that it's pretty cool; not only can you look up any literary agent, but it also give you a list of clients, genres the agent is looking to represent and comments of people that have queried them. The last feature is especially helpful because some agents don't respond for a while, and some are a little on the sketchy side. I'd never know that if other wannabe novelists hadn't shared their stories.
By far the best website I've used is Preditors and Editors, though. I really feel comfortable with them, because they are referenced everywhere as a great site to double check information. Not only does it have information on which scams are pretending to be writing contests and legitimate publishing houses, but it has an extensive list of agents and editors; and tells you whether they've had big sales or are registered with the Association of Author's Representatives (like a guild or union or something--it basically says, yeah these guys are legit).
So through those websites I've compiled a list of agents (I'm on the 23rd right now, and decided to take a break). When I'm done cross-checking my preliminary list (I'm got like, 19 more to go...) I'll move on to researching queries. I have a couple of books I found at the High School Library, and then I'll move on to the public one... I feel like I've done a lot, but I still have so much more to do. I want to focus my research on writing too, like how to draft and stuff, and then I want to email an author that I know to see what she thinks when I'm done with my second draft... Basically, I have a plan, and it goes like this:
Alexa's Book Plan
1. Write the first draft
2. Allow brain to relax
3. Research (agents)
4. Research (queries)
5. Research (drafting?)
6. See #2
7. Edit/Write second draft
8. Email Mrs. Paratore (the author that I know)
9. Revise, then write query
10. Begin to send queries
11. Freak out when rejection letter is received [you can't say you're legitimate until you've received a couple of these]
11b. Party for first rejection letter??
12. Repeat steps 2 and 9 through 11 until
13. SUCCESS!!
I'm very aware that I'm not going to get accepted by the first person I send it to. I kind of expect that I will be rejected, in fact, I kind of hope I'm rejected a lot because all of the greats were rejected at least a few times, and I want the full experience, you know? I want to publish a book, but I also want to learn. :) Also, I'm only like, seventeen, so it's not like I have a limited amount of time (that I know of) to do this. I want to be smart and patient and professional. I don't want to come across as a whiny amateur (even though that's exactly what I am lol), I want to be someone that an agent would want to do business with.
Of course, it all comes down to whether or not my writing is good enough. I worry about that a lot. Like, what if I've put all this time and effort into it, and I turn out to be crap at writing? My passion is in the stories, and the characters, and I love that, but sometimes I think I'm not good enough, you know? Sometimes I have a hard time expressing myself. I freak out easily and make one second decisions in real life that I regret. This is really important to me, so I'm trying not to do that.
The other thing--and this is a very personal, weird, secretive part of me--that I've been thinking is that maybe this isn't what I want in the first place. Maybe I don't want to write books for a living, and study English in college. Maybe none of this is what I'm supposed to be doing.
I don't know.
But on the other hand, I can't imagine life without this. I guess that's how you know you love something right? That's how you know something is important; you picture life without it and if you can't see anything, it's essential. Makes you wonder what else you couldn't live without.
So, IN CONCLUSION, I'm really busy with researching book-things, I'm doubting the basic stuff that makes up my existence, boys suck, getting stressed out by previously mentioned worries, and desperately trying to ignore Christmas.
And now that I've finished this post four hours after I started it (during lunch) I'm gonna go watch the rest of Sorcerer's Apprentice instead of reading or researching, like I should be doing.
HAPPY FRIDAY!!
Best of luck with the publishing!
ReplyDeleteAnd I sincerely hope you don't give up the English stuff, you obviously care a lot about it... I love that you can have that much passion for something. From what I've seen, you have talent, and I'd hate to see you gave that up.
I just noticed 11b. I approve so hard. I got this wonderful image of you getting together with people and doing mopey things, but not actually being upset.
ReplyDelete