quote

"Think of the world you carry within you." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

Saturday, October 16, 2010

This Will Be the 2nd

Hi again!

I'm so glad you could make it! You have no idea how happy it makes me that you decided to come back. And if you're new, welcome!

It's pretty much going to be the same thing as before. Feel free to give me feedback or critisism. I need it.

So, I really need a new title. I can't keep calling this thing "Within You". It sounds like some pansy self help book. What would I call it? What should it henceforth be named? I really want to call it something that references writing or reading or maybe one of my favorite books. Only problem with that being that I have A) No time to look through my bookshelves and B) No inspiration.

I've found out that writing a blog is a lot harder than it looks.

The other thing that I have to do is promote myself. Few if none (in my opinion) are going to stumble across this using the "Next Blog" button, so I really need to post my address whereever I can, get more followers and generally generate publicity for myself. Which is silly because let's be honest, I'm really just a teenager with an obession, and makes me feel sleazy because it requires me to sell myself.

But I've been trying to get my friends to read this, (via facebook and tumblr and deviantart) and so far I've got a few people looking. I've had a few a surprises and those surprises have caused me to look at them alittle bit closer.

It's like I'm walking through the forest, and I'm looking for a specific animal like a bear or something, and then there's commotion in the underbrush and I go over to investigate. It turns out to be a deer, but I've never seen a real live deer before, so I take some pictures. Now I'm looking for deers and bears.

Did you get the analogy? I'm looking for followers (bears) but as I'm looking for them, I find other people that are following me or leaving comments (deers) and now I'm almost more interested in finding deers. I mean, blogs for me to follow. There are alot of interesting people out there, you know.

One of the people that I've started following is this girl I know, named Kate. I didn't even know she had a blog! I didn't know she had an awesome, interesting blog! First thing I saw on her website was this:




Which looks pretty awesome. I've heard of Bob Dylan, but I know next to nothing about him. Didn't he write/sing that song "They Times They are a Changin' "? This movie makes me want to learn more about him. The idea that he could be so many people is unique and vibrant. It makes me want more. Did he have a multiple personality disorder? Was he secretly a fragmented individual? Or is the choice of direction a metaphor for the possiblities we all have inside of us?

Needless to say, "I'm Not There" is now in my queue on Netflix.
This morning I had a mini-panic attack. I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO. I wanted to make a bazillion posts and post them all at the same time. I keep getting ideas about what I want to write about. Like I have a rant I've been saving up, and I wanted to talk about the Flood in my Basement and how it's going to ruin Christmas. And the Muffin and Post-it analogy and also, perhaps most importantly, Bruce the Bruise.
But more than I have ideas to write do I have books to read. I really want to expland my reading tastes. I recently acquired The Road by Cormac McCarthy and I have at least twenty classics waiting for me on my selves. It just doesn't seem like I have the time.
:(
Yes, I know. I'll make the time.
Lastly, my little sister Clare turned 7 today. I couldn't help but feel a little sentimental. First we watched The Princess and the Frog --
(WHICH WAS ABSOLUTELY FREAKING AMAZING. I love Naveen. He's my new favorite prince. I love his character developement and personality. I'm a total sucker for french accents and jazz loving playboys. When the movie was still in the theaters I heard a lot of critism for it. Mostly about how it could be construed as rascist, and annoyance that Tiana wasn't technically a princess when Disney was labeling her as one. Tiana becomes a real princess in the end, but I liked the way she had to work for it. It teaches a better lesson to little girls all over the world-- not only that hard work pays off, but that if you really put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. Because of that, The Princess and the Frog is officially one of my favorite all time Disney movies.)
-- and then the whole family went to her birthday party at the local bowling lanes. It was weird to see the different sides of her. Usually Clare is a happy-go-lucky kid, wrapped up completely in her own world. She often comes across as the stereotypical 'little sister', playing up the cuteness and innocence. But when we were watching the movie, my other little sister was constantly asking questions about things that had happened three minutes ago-- and Clare was answering with astute accuracy. I had never known that Clare was that observant. And then at the bowling lanes she was quiet. She socialized, but not like I expected her too. She was almost... hesitant. No, that's not the word. She almost seemed to ignor her friends. If they didn't come to her, she didn't go to them. She hung out with me and my sister Marie. (I also learned that she was a fantastic bowler)
I'm always surprised by the people around me. They're really a lot like characters in a book-- 2 dimensional until you say a certain thing and they reveil a little bit more of themselves. A good friend of mine once compared people to puzzles and how each moment you spend with them and each thing you know about them is a piece of that puzzle. You're always finding more pieces for their puzzle, but you'll never know the what the picture is about. It's funny how even a family member you've known for her whole life, even a child, can be such a complex puzzle.
How many pieces of my puzzle do you have?
At least a few by now. Blogs are funny-- You'll have so many pieces of me, but I'll have next to none of you.
Well, I have to be going. Books to read and deer to find. You understand.

2 comments:

  1. aw alexa your blog is so cute! I love your writing style! I'm so happy you added "I'm Not There" to your netflix queue! and I'm so happy I'm a deer-- they're my favorite animal!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally started reading this, sorry I took so long!
    Learning that I'm metaphorically a bear is definitely the high point of my day so far, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete